For an easy peasy recipe to satisfy any coffee lovers, try this recipe for your next dinner party.
Get everything out and ready!
- 4 eggs
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 100ml double cream
- 300ml espresso coffee
- 70g Muscavado or caster sugar
- Sponge or Savoiardi biscuits
Let’s do this!
To make the sponge layer:
- Get a ready-made madeira cake or pack of Savoiardi biscuits, and lay out onto a dish.
- Make some strong espresso coffee.
- Dab or pour the coffee over the sponge/biscuits and push down to help it soak up the coffee.
To prepare the creamy mixture:
- Boil some water. Pour boiled water into a pan and put on low simmer.
- Separate all the eggs – put yolks into a big bowl, and leave the egg whites into another bowl.
- Whisk egg whites using an electric hand mixer until it increases in volume and forms stiff peaks. Leave to one side.
- Pour double cream into another bowl, and mix until thick. Leave to one side.
- Add sugar to the yolks. Put the big bowl over the simmering water and whisk using electric hand whisk for about 5 minutes till the mixture increases in volume, becomes paler in colour and thickens. Take off the heat and whisk for a minute to get a thicker texture. You have now made something called a zabaglione.
- Add all the mascarpone to the zabaglione. Give it a whizz using the electric whisk till they combine.
- Add to this, the whipped up double cream. Mix to combine.
- Add to this, the whipped up egg whites. Get a large spatula, and mix to combine.
To the soaked sponge/biscuit later, add the creamy mixture all over the top. If you have enough dish space, layer it up. Leave in the fridge ideally overnight to set. Top with cocoa powder and/or finely chopped chocolate to decorate before serving.