Salted Caramel Brownies
Ever feel like you need a quick pick-me-up chocolatey treat but too lazy to pop down to the shops?
Well, here is your perfect brownie recipe you will need to memorise so you are bake ready at any moment!
All you basically need for brownies are just 5 ingredients – sugar, butter, eggs, self-rising flour, cocoa powder/chocolate.
It is so easy to make, and the outcome so fail-proof, just remember and have this to memory whenever a situation presents itself whereby you are asked to make something for someone!
- 150g butter at room temperature
- 50g dark chocolate
- 150g caster or Muscavado sugar
- 3 eggs
- 80g cocoa powder
- 50g flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- Optional: chopped nuts, dried fruits, chocolate chips.
Let’s do this!:
- Line your baking tray with baking paper. Pop the oven on to preheat at 150 degrees. Have a pot of bubbling water ready on the hob.
- Get a bowl and place over the top of the pot with a layer of simmering water underneath. Place the butter and chocolate into the bowl. Stir to melt until smooth and silky.
- Add the sugar and stir until you can see that the sugar has dissolved into the chocolatey mix.
- Take the bowl off the heat and place onto the kitchen table. Add 3 eggs, and mix till combined.
- Shift in all the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder at once and give it a good mix. Add the optional nuts or whatever it is you want to chuck into the brownie mix at the last minute.
- Pour into the pre-lined baking tin and pop into the middle shelf of the oven – set at 175 degrees for 35 minutes.
Salted Caramel Sauce:
Ingredients – 200g caster or brown sugar, 50g butter, 100ml cream, pinch of sea salt flakes.
Salted caramel sauce so easy to make, you won’t believe! Tip all the sugar into a deep pot or pan and crank up the heat to medium flame. Keep stirring the sugar constantly until it starts to melt and liquify. Once it has become syrupy and golden in colour, turn the heat down and add the butter and mix quickly. Add the cream in parts – beware at this point that the mixture will bubble away like you’re making honeycomb. Add the pinch of sea salt flakes to give it that salty kick it needs. Pour into a pouring jug for it to cool!
These brownies are super duper easy to make, I can’t believe why anyone would buy them?!
Salted caramel sauce definately is my favourite go-to combination with these brownies, but you can add anything you have left in your larder to the mix… pine nuts, tinned cherries, candied orange peel, lime zest, dried apricots, whey powder, green tea powder… whatever tickles your fancy, go wild and create your own special version!
Go to your kitchen right now, and start whipping up a batch of these beauties to go with your coffee, and send me a cheeky photo of your brownie bake on Instagram. I will be waiting!